Protecting Ontario Against Invasive Species
Ontario is taking action to protect communities from invasive species through prevention, early detection, rapid response and eradication of invasive species in the province.
Today, Ontario will re-introduce the proposed Invasive Species Act, 2014 which, if passed, will protect the province’s natural environment from invasive species and the significant social, environmental and economic costs they pose for Ontarians.
The act, if passed, would:
- Give Ontario the tools to ban activities such as possessing and transporting certain invasive species.
- Allow the government to intervene earlier and enable rapid response actions, including working with partners to stop an invasive species from spreading — for example by preventing the movement of contaminated firewood.
- Help promote compliance through inspection and enforcement measures.
Preventing the spread of invasive species supports the government’s economic plan for Ontario. The four part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people’s talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- If passed, the Invasive Species Act would position Ontario as the first and only jurisdiction in Canada to enact standalone invasive species legislation.
- Globally, invasive species costs to the environment, agriculture and communities, including control costs, are estimated to be $1.4 trillion — the equivalent of five per cent of the global economy and seven times the cost of natural disasters.
- Do your part by reporting invasive species sightings. Call the Invading Species Hotline at 1-800-563-7711 or email email@example.com.
- Download the free EDDMapS app to identify and report invasive species from your smartphone.
- Read the Ontario Invasive Species Strategic Plan.
- Learn about the Invading Species Awareness Program.
- Support for the Re-Introduction of the Invasive Species Act